Peter J. Butler, Jr.
Partner - New Orleans
- T: 504.584.5427
- F: 504.584.5452
Since 1989, Mr. Butler has accumulated extensive trial experience and has practiced in the various federal district courts, state district courts, and state appellate courts throughout the State of Louisiana and various federal district courts throughout the South. Mr. Butler has primarily handled complex commercial litigation, including
- antitrust litigation (both health care and non-health care);
- banking (federal and state) litigation;
- commercial and corporate litigation;
- construction litigation;
- environmental litigation;
- governmental charters and governmental budgetary litigation;
- health care regulatory matters, including advice and litigation;
- intellectual property litigation;
- mergers and acquisitions and hostile takeovers;
- oil and gas litigation;
- qui tam and false claims act litigation;
- shareholders (and other owners) derivative litigation;
- securities and securities fraud litigation;
- state and federal income and estate tax litigation disputes;
- unfair trade practices and anti-competitive claims; and
- various torts and breaches of contract matters.
All of the foregoing litigation involved intensive discovery, sophisticated motion practice, writ application practice, and presentation of trials.
Mr. Butler has particularly extensive experience in litigating the dissolution of business ventures among various ventures, including partnerships, limited liability companies and closely-held corporations, as well as disputes among such businesses' owners and between such businesses and one or more of its owners. Mr. Butler also has extensive experience in litigating breaches of fiduciary duty.
Mr. Butler is a Certified Public Accountant.
Tulane University, J.D., 1987
Tulane University, B.S.M. (Accounting), 1984
Certified Public Accountant, 1989.
Louisiana State Courts, Eastern, Middle & Western Districts of Louisiana, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals,1987
Law Clerk, Hon. Frederick J. R. Heebe, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (1987-89)
American Bar Association
Louisiana State Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Louisiana Society of Certified Public Accountant
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Honors and Awards
New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Class of 2013
Listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
Named "Top Lawyers of New Orleans" by New Orleans Magazine, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated, by Martindale-Hubbell since 1996