David R. Cassidy
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.8018
- F: 225.387.5397
David Cassidy is a partner in the firm's Baton Rouge office. He is a Board Certified Specialist in Tax Law. His practice is primarily concentrated in the areas of state and local tax and unclaimed property matters in Louisiana. He has also represented clients before the Board of Tax Appeals regarding refund on taxes paid while performing federal contracts with the Corp of Engineers. As a result, David has worked closely with former employees of the Defense Contract Auditing Agency, becoming very familiar with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and how it governs contract price types.
Mr. Cassidy has lectured and written on a variety of issues relative to Louisiana state and local taxation. He has lectured at programs presented by Tulane Tax Institute, Baton Rouge Chapter of CPAs, ABA/IPT Joint Tax Seminars, Associated Builders and Contractors and the ABA Section of Taxation. Mr. Cassidy currently serves on the Editorial Board of "The Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives" published by Warren, Gorham & Lamont, where he is also a regularly contributing author. He is the author of the Louisiana chapter in the ABA Sales & Use Tax Desk Book and the co-author of the Louisiana chapter in the ABA Property Tax Deskbook. He has written for The State and Local Tax Lawyer published by the ABA and Georgetown University. Mr. Cassidy is a member of the American Bar Association where he is a past chair of the ABA Committee on State and Local Taxation. Since 2007, Mr. Cassidy has been listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Tax, Business/Corporate. He has been recognized in "Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in the area of Corporate/M&A: Tax since 2008. He has an AV® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
Southern Methodist University, LL.M. in Taxation, 1978
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., 1975
Louisiana State University, B.S., 1972
American Bar Association (Past Chair of the ABA Committee on State and Local Taxation)
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Louisiana State Bar Association
Louisiana Law Institute (Tax Committee)
Honors and Awards
Recognized in "Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business" in the area of Corporate/M&A: Tax since 2008.
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Selected Lawyer of the Year, in Tax Law in Baton Rouge by The Best Lawyers in America® 2017
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
Listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Tax
- “Reflections on the Past 15 Years” The Tax Lawyer (American Bar Association, Section on Taxation), Volume 68, Number 4, October 2015
- “Legislature Expands the Jurisdiction of the Board of Tax Appeals” Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives (Thomson Reuters/Tax & Accounting), Volume 24, Number 10, February 2015
- “La. Supreme Court Protects Taxpayers From Creeping Rental Taxes” January 2015
- “Preserve Your Louisiana Income Tax Refund Claim Now” June 2014
- “Filing a Sales Tax Refund Claim Did Not Interrupt Prescription For Unpaid Taxes” May 2014
- “Did you purchase a flex fuel vehicle between 2010 and July 2013? If so, you may be entitled to an income tax credit after all.” May 2014
- “BSW Tax Blog” September 2013
- “UPDATED Louisiana Tax Amnesty of 2013” June 2013
- “Attention Louisiana Individual Income Payers for Tax Years 2010, 2011 and 2012” May 2013
- “Shop Talk: Suit by Taxpayer's Agent Was Permitted in Louisiana Tax Refund Case” May 2012
- “What is a ‘Component Part’ of Real/Immoveable Property: Louisiana’s Sales Tax Exemption Roller Coaster”, The Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives, published by Warren, Gorham & Lamont (July 2010)
- 2007 ABA Sales and Use Tax Deskbook, Louisiana chapter
- 2007 ABA Property Tax Deskbook, Co-Author of Louisiana Chapter
- “Unconstitutional Discrimination in State Tax Incentive Programs”, 9 Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives 4 ((March/April 99)
- “Resale Certificate Requirements for Manufacturer”, 5 Journal of Multistate Taxation 209 (Nov/Dec. 95)
- "Louisiana - The ABA Property Tax Deskbook"
- The Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives, published by Warren, Gorham & Lamont., Editorial Board
- Baton Rouge Chapter of CPAs Annual Tax Day, December 2011 "State and Local Taxes"
- Baton Rouge Chapter of CPAs Annual Tax Day on December 3, 2009 "State and Local Taxes"
- Tulane Tax Institute Oct 28, 2009 "Trends in State and Local Taxes"
- ABA Section of Taxation Mid-year Meeting 2009: "Removal of State and Local Tax Disputes to Federal Court"
Shell, Shaw, Cajun Constructors, Flintco, Inc., Union Tank Car Company, General Electric, Global Industries, Maxim Crane, Sasol, Total Petrochemicals, Pioneer, Georgia Gulf, Georgia Pacific, T-Mobile, FMOL Health System, Inc., Levi Strauss, and Morgan Keegan