B. Troy Villa
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.8052
- F: 225.387.5397
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Representative Matters
- Professional Associations
Tax Credit Financing and Economic Incentives
Troy represents clients in various capacities in tax credit financing and investment transactions involving New Markets Tax Credits and historic rehabilitation tax credits and with projects involving state and local economic incentives and Public-Private Partnerships (“P3”).
- Historic Tax Credits (“HTC”)
- New Markets Tax Credits (“NMTC”)
- Leverage and bridge loan financing associated with HTC and NMTC financing
- Industrial Tax Exemptions, Payments-in-Lieu-of-Tax (“PILOT”)
- Cooperative Endeavors involving P3 projects
- Opportunity Zone Investments
Troy has represented clients for many years in traditional and non-traditional financing transactions, including:
- Asset-based lending
- Development and Construction Loans
- Mezzanine financing
- Private Equity Investments (Investors and Issuers)
- Venture Capital
Mergers & Acquisitions
He also represents business clients and entrepreneurs in a wide variety of business transactions involving the purchase and sale of businesses. He has extensive experience in the structuring and negotiation of terms related to these types of transactions, and the drafting of related contracts and agreements. He has advised clients with respect to both domestic and international transactions.
- Purchase and Sale of Privately-Held Businesses
- Leveraged-buyouts and restructuring
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., 1990 (Louisiana Law Review, Senior Editor)
Nicholls State University, B.S., 1986
Admitted to practice: 1990, Louisiana State Courts, Eastern, Middle & Western Districts of Louisiana.
Louisiana State Bar Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Institute for Professionals in Tax (IPT)
Louisiana Industrial Development Executives Association (LIDEA), Board of Directors
American Red Cross - Louisiana Capital Area Chapter (Board of Directors: 2008 and previously, 1998-2006, Chairman 2002-2003)
American Health Lawyers Association
Education's Next Horizon (Board of Directors)
Gulf Coast Housing Partnership (Board of Directors)
Former Academic Distinction Fund (Treasurer, Board of Directors)
Former Diocese of Baton Rouge Catholic School Board (Director)
Honors and Awards
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, Since 2009
Selected Lawyer of the Year, in Mergers and Acquisition Law in Baton Rouge by The Best Lawyers in America® 2013, 2015, 2019
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
- “Paycheck Protection Program Rules Released” April 2020
- “CARES ACT UPDATE (April 1, 2020): Paycheck Protection Program Application is Released” March 2020
- “Summary of Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (or CARES Act)” March 2020
- “COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions For You and Your Business” March 2020
- “It's Time to Dust-off the "Force Majeure" Clause in your Contract” March 2020
- “BSW Health Law Blog” August 2013
- “Not-for-Profits and LLCs—Don’t be fooled by the Annual Meeting Disclosure Statement Being Mailed to You.” May 2011
Represented financial buyer of industrial service company operating in Louisiana and Texas in $13 million buy-out.
Represented operator of cellular telephone network in Louisiana to national cellular carrier in $36 million transaction, which included various ancillary aspects for transition.
Represented seller of oil-field equipment business to global energy equipment manufacturer in $12 million transaction.
Represented owners of alternative fuels producer in sale of refinery to public company in $24 million transaction.
Represented owners of telecommunications business in South Louisiana in various financing transactions in excess of $40 million and ultimately in sale of business to private equity fund in $100 million transaction, including participation in obtaining regulatory approvals and/or letters of non-opposition from the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
Represented telecommunications business in South Louisiana in leveraged buyout of co-owner in $86 million transaction, including participation in obtaining regulatory approvals and/or letters of non-opposition from the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
Represented joint venture partner in sale of interest in national chemical business and assets to other joint venture partner in $85 million transaction.