Peter J. Butler, Jr.
Partner - New Orleans
- T: 504.584.5427
- F: 504.584.5452
Since 1989 Mr. Butler has primarily handled complex commercial litigation, including
- securities and securities fraud litigation;
- antitrust litigation (both health care and non-health care);
- banking (federal and state) litigation;
- oil and gas litigation;
- mergers and acquisitions and hostile takeovers;
- governmental charters and governmental budgetary matters litigation;
- state and federal income and estate tax litigation disputes;
- construction litigation;
- environmental litigation;
- health care regulatory matters, including advice and litigation;
- qui tam litigation;
- litigation concerning intellectual property;
- unfair trade practices and anti-competitive claims; and
- various torts and breaches of contract matters.
Mr. Butler has accumulated extensive trial experience and has practiced in the various federal district courts, state district courts, and state appellate courts throughout the State of Louisiana and various federal district courts throughout the South.
Mr. Butler has extensive experience in litigating the dissolution of business ventures among the various ventures, including partnerships, limited liability company and closely-held corporations. Mr. Butler also has extensive experience in litigating breaches of fiduciary duty.
Mr. Butler is a Certified Public Accountant.
Professional Liability Defense
Class Action, Mass Tort & Multi-District Litigation
Governmental Relations and Ethics
Long-term Care and Senior Living
Tulane University, J.D., 1987
Tulane University, B.S.M. (Accounting), 1984
Certified Public Accountant, 1989.
Louisiana State Courts, Eastern, Middle & Western Districts of Louisiana, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals,1987
Law Clerk, Hon. Frederick J. R. Heebe, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (1987-89)
American Bar Association
Louisiana State Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Louisiana Society of Certified Public Accountant
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Honors and Awards
New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Class of 2013
Listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated, by Martindale-Hubbell since 1996
Named "Top Lawyers of New Orleans" by New Orleans Magazine, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017