James R. Raines
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.8058
- F: 225.381.8029
James R. Raines is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, L.L.P. and serves as the Recruiting Partner for the firm. Jim practices in the areas of casualty, tort and insurance defense, with an emphasis on workers' compensation matters on behalf of employers, insurers and self-insured funds.
Another major focus of his practice is on Medicare compliance and particularly the Medicare Secondary Payer Act. In 2013, Jim earned the designation of Certified Medicare Secondary Payer Professional from the Louisiana Association of Self Insured Employers. James speaks regularly on issues related to the Medicare Secondary Payer Act.
Jim also handles administrative law matters and serves as the prosecutor for several state licensing boards and has served as a hearing officer in litigation involving a state licensing board. He handles matters involving mental health law, including interdictions, family law, including complex community property litigation, commercial litigation, premises liability, landlord/tenant law, property law and contested successions.
Paul M. Hebert Law School, Louisiana State University, J.D./B.C.L., 2004
Abilene Christian University, M.S. (Psychology), 2001
Abilene Christian University, Certificate in Conflict Mediation and Dispute Resolution, 2001
Abilene Christian University, M.M.F.T. (Marriage and Family Therapy), 2000
Harding University, B.A. (Psychology), 1997
Admitted to practice in all Louisiana State and Federal Courts.
Louisiana State Bar Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP)
Manners of the Heart (Board Member, Vice Chairman)
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, LA Chapter (Board Member, Nominating Chair)
Leadership Baton Rouge Alumni (Board Member, Chair)
Heritage Ranch Christian Children’s Home (Cook-Off for the Kids Committee Member, 2014-2015)
Capital Area Community Mediation Center (Former Board Member)
Forum 35 (Former Member)
Honors and Awards
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017
2015 Recipient of the Top Forty Under Forty, Baton Rouge Business Report
Council for a Better Louisiana, 2015 Leadership Louisiana Class.
Baton Rouge Area Leadership class of 2012.
Member of LABI Emerging Leaders Council
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
- “Recent SCOTUS Ruling Adds New Discrimination Claim under Fair Housing Act” July 2015
- “Judge Rules that Portions of the Louisiana Medical Treatment Guidelines Are Unconstitutional” July 2015
- “Recent Louisiana Supreme Court Ruling Regarding Premises Liability and Open and Obvious Conditions” February 2015
- “Recent Development in the 1010 Process in Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Law” December 2014
- Basics of Interdiction and Judicial Commitments, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017
- Practitioner Licensure Issues, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017
- Medicare Set-Asides in Workers' Compensation, NBI Advanced Workers' Compensation Seminar, June 24, 2016
- Re-Review/Reconsideration by CMS, NAMSAP Annual Meeting, October 1, 2015
- Basics of Interdiction and Commitments, LHA Behavioral Health Law Seminar: Striking the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, August 2015
- Special Issues Regarding Evictions and Reasonable Accommodations, Client Seminar, November 2014
- Mental Health Law Update, Louisiana Hospital Association, August 2014
- Medicare Set Asides and Liability Actions, Addressing Potential Issues Before Final Regulations, Baton Rouge Bench Bar Conference, July 24, 2014
- MSP Compliance: Medicare Set-Asides, Louisiana Department of Insurance, June 26, 2014
- "PECs, Interdiction, and Commitment Compliance Essentials", Presented at the Louisiana Hospital Association's Mental Health Law Update conference, May 9, 2013