Associate - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.3179
- F: 225.381.8029
Jacob has significant experience in health care facility licensure, including hospital, ASC, and IDTF licensure, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment, CLIA certification, and associated regulatory requirements including DEA, CDS and Pharmacy licensure. Jacob works on a wide variety of issues affecting Federally Qualified Health Centers, including those relating to the HIPAA, the Federal Tort Claims Act, Stark Law and others.
Jacob also advises clients on research compliance and human subject protection, including rules and regulations related to Institutional Review Board ("IRB") oversight of clinical research and has extensive experience with clinical trial requirements, informed consent, health information privacy, electronic records and signatures, as well as research compliance and misconduct. He is also a registered attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and counsels clients on a variety of IP matters including technology transfer, confidentiality and material transfer agreements.
Jacob served on active duty in the United States Air Force as Judge Advocate General, where he proudly served as a health care attorney for a major academic medical center and a regional consultant for seven military treatment facilities in a four state geographic area. He also currently serves in the same capacity as a member of the US Air Force Reserves. In addition, Jacob has significant experience in government contracting and the Federal Acquisition Regulation, serving as lead attorney in all aspects of multi-million dollar construction, services and supply acquisitions, including acquisition strategy, negotiation, source selection, warranty and post-award protests for the Department of Defense’s largest installation.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. Simpson earned a degree in Microbiology with a minor in Chemistry from Louisiana State University and engaged in biomedical research at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2006
Louisiana State University, B.S., summa cum laude, 2000
United States Patent & Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney
Chair, Health Law Section, Louisiana State Bar Association, 2015 to present
Board Member, Women's Hospital Institutional Review Board (Clinical Research)
Health Care Attorney, USAF Reserve, JAG (Medical Law Consultant)
American Health Lawyers Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Louisiana Society of Hospital Attorneys
Honors and Awards
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
Meritorious Service Medal (2 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Commendation Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service (2 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- “Recent $400K HIPAA Settlement with FQHC Highlights Importance of HIPAA Security Management Process” May 2017
- “OIG Finalizes New Anti-Kickback Statute Safe Harbors and CMP Authorities” Louisiana Hospital Association's Impact Law Brief, January 2017
- “First Ever HIPAA Enforcement Action for Delay in Breach Reporting” BSW Health Law Blog, January 2017
- “HIPAA Amendment Purports to Strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) – Part II” January 2016
- “HIPAA Amendment Purports to Strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) - Part I” January 2016
- “Update on APRN Supervision Rules for Hospitals with Physician Practices” Louisiana Hospital Association's Impact Lawbrief, August 2014
- "Criminal Cyberattacks Against Health Care Providers Are on the Rise", BSW Health Law Blog (May 2015)
- "Can a Member of Local Bank Board Serve on the Board of a Hospital Service District?", BSW Health Law Blog (October 2014)
- "HIPAA and Baby Photo Boards", BSW Health Law Blog (August 2014)
- The Volk Case and the Duty to Warn, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017