V. Thomas Clark, Jr.
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: (225) 381-8007
- F: (225) 381-8029
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Notable Achievements
- Professional Associations
- Community Involvement
Tom Clark’s practice focuses on insurance regulatory law and dispute resolution, state procurement and contract dispute resolution, complex commercial litigation, executive and legislative branch government relations and filmed entertainment representation. Tom represents entities ranging in size from Fortune 500 companies down to locally owned sole proprietorships, providing results-oriented representation.
In the insurance arena, Tom is an active participant in the legislative and administrative process in the formulation and interpretation of laws and regulations, which impact all forms of regulated entities (companies, funds, employers, producers, and intermediaries). He also assists those entities in obtaining regulatory consents and approvals as well as resolution through the administrative and judicial process.
In procurement and public contract matters, Tom represents proposers throughout the solicitation process to help obtain their desired objectives. He also represents contracted vendors in negotiating and obtaining mutually acceptable resolutions of contractual disputes.
Throughout his career, Tom has been an active advisor, board member and supporter of numerous community organizations, events and economic development endeavors. In 2014, he was elected to a two-year term as President and Chair of The Committee of 100 for Economic Development, Inc., a statewide nonprofit, non-partisan organization. C100 provides leadership and resources to effect positive change by supporting efforts to improve the economy, government, education and workforce development and thereby improve the quality of life for all the people of Louisiana. He continues to serve on the Executive Committee and serves as the Chair of C100’s Reset Committee.
He also currently serves on the Executive Committee and Board of the Property Insurance Association of Louisiana, and the Executive Committee and Board of Teach For America – South Louisiana.
In 2016, Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards named Tom as his sole appointee to the 13-member Task Force on Structural Changes in Budget and Tax Policy. The Task Force was created by the Louisiana Legislature in the 2016 Extraordinary Session as the body to conduct a year-long comprehensive review of Louisiana’s tax and budgeting laws and practices for the purpose of recommending long-term initiatives for structural reform to the Governor and the Legislature.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., 1990
Louisiana State University, B.A., 1986
Louisiana Committee of 100 for Economic Development, Past President and Chair of the Executive Committee, (2015-2016), Chair of the Fiscal Reform Committee, Chair of the Reset Committee
Property Insurance Association of Louisiana, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
Louisiana State Bar Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
International Association of Insurance Receivers 1996-2003 (Editorial Committee)
CABL Leadership Class of 2013
Association of Louisiana Lobbyists
Task Force on Structural Changes in Budget & Tax Policy (2016)
Board of Regents Stakeholder Collaborative, C100 representative
Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities (2008-2019), Board of Trustees, Strategic Programming Committee, Governance Committee, Governmental Relations Committee, Personnel Committee, and Litigation Committee (current)
Teach for America South Louisiana, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Development and Nominating Committee Chair
Honors and Awards
Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Administrative/Regulatory Law, 2017, 2019
Best Lawyers® since 2010
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Entertainment Law - Motion Pictures and Television
- Government Contracts
- Insurance Law
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
- “Louisiana Legislature is in Recess due to Covid-19” 03/23/2020
- Fifth Circuit Editor for the American Bar Association Reference Handbook on Insurance Company Insolvency, 4th Edition
- Favorably resolved a multimillion dollar industry wide regulatory dispute that arose from an ambiguity in the law through a coordinated negotiation with the Commissioner of Insurance and the Office of Motor Vehicles to pass corrective legislation while utilizing administrative litigation to protect client’s interests resulting in a clarified law and fair and enforceable regulatory scheme.
- Successfully secured the rescission of multimillion dollar procurement contract awards arising from noncompliance or irregularities in the award process.
- Successfully mediated to favorable resolution a billion-dollar dispute in the healthcare industry.