Timothy W. Hardy
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225-387-4000
- F: 225.381.8029
Timothy W. Hardy is a Partner in the Baton Rouge office of Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, L.L.P. His area of concentration is Environmental Law. He serves as part of the firm's Environmental Law Practice Group. He previously served as the top advisor on environmental affairs for a former Louisiana governor, as Assistant Secretary for the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and as a Division Director tor the Louisiana Department of Justice. He was formerly a Partner of the Roedel Parsons Koch Blache Balhhoff & McColliser law firm.
He currently serves on the Board of Supervisors for the Louisiana Community & Technical College System, having served on the Board since 2010. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT), an education organization of governing boards, representing more than 6,500 elected and appointed trustees who govern over 1,200 community and technical colleges in the United States. He is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Southern University Law Center, teaching Environmental Law for more than 20 years. His professional career also includes, in 2003, being named as an Executive Vice President of the Shaw Group, one of only two Fortune 500 Companies based in Louisiana at that time.
He holds a B.S. Degree in Chemistry and was named a Distinguished Alumnus by the Southern University Department of Chemistry in 2008. He was also named a Distinguished Alumnus by the Southern University Law Center in 2009 and was named to the Southern University Law Center Hall of Fame in 2012.
He regularly represents clients in regulatory, litigation, and transactional matters, including:
- Assisting clients in securing air, water, and waste permits for all facilities and representing them through any appeals that may result after permit issuance or denial.
- Negotiating and assisting in the preparation of permit modifications for all media.
- Preparing clients for inspections by government agencies, including the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Occupational, Safety and Health Administration, the United States Coast Guard, and the United States Department of Justice.
- Overseeing environmental audits and structuring same to provide for confidentiality.
- Retaining skilled environmental consultants to perform waste site cleanups, including proper cost and procedural documentation for National Contingency Plan consistency and private cost recovery actions.
- Assisting in the drafting of Federal Environmental Assessments, Federal Environmental Impact Statements and Louisiana Environmental Assessment Statements.
- Representing clients on Potentially Responsible Party Steering Committees for Superfund sites.
- Drafting proposals for environmental legislation and regulations.
- Assisting clients in achieving corporate compliance with state and federal reporting and record-keeping requirements, including Emergency Release Reporting and Emergency Planning/Community Right-to-Know laws.
- Representing clients in appeals of permits.
- Representing clients in enforcement actions brought by state and/or federal government.
- Working with firm’s white collar criminal defense lawyers in representing clients in environmental criminal prosecutions.
Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, J.D., 1981
Southern University, B.S Chemistry , 1978
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
Louisiana State Bar Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
American Bar Association
National Bar Association
Board of Supervisors for the Louisiana Community & Technical College System
Executive Leadership Council