James R. Raines
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.8058
- F: 225.381.8029
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Professional Associations
- Community Involvement
James R. Raines is a partner is the Baton Rouge office of Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, L.L.P. and serves as the Recruiting Partner for the firm. His principal areas of practice include administrative law, governmental relations, municipal law, elder law litigation, workers’ compensation, compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, and real estate.
Mr. Raines represents state licensing boards as board general counsel, prosecutor, and hearing officer in administrative hearings.
- General counsel to state licensing boards
- Prosecution of complaints before state licensing boards
- Resolution of complaints prior to hearing
- Representation of boards in state court
- Served as hearing officer in administrative proceeding before board
Mr. Raines provides governmental relations services to clients both at the federal level in Washington D.C. as well as with state and local government. While he has a special interest in health care and technology, his diverse legal experience and relationships make him keenly adept at advising clients regarding a wide variety of issues.
Mr. Raines represents political subdivisions of the State of Louisiana regarding the unique issues inherent to political bodies, including the following:
- Compliance with the Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics
- Compliance with Open Meetings Laws
- Compliance with the Louisiana Public Records Law
- Cooperative Endeavor Agreements
Elder Law Litigation
Mr. Raines represents individuals involved in the following types of litigation:
- Succession litigation
- Trust disputes
- Claims against fiduciaries
- Undue influence claims
- Forced heirship claims
Mr. Raines advises and represents employers, insurers and self-insured funds regarding the defense of all aspects of workers’ compensation claims, from day-to-day claims decisions to complex litigation.
Medicare Secondary Payer Act Compliance
Mr. Raines earned the designation of Certified Medicare Secondary Payer Professional with the Louisiana Association of Self Insured Employers in 2013, and advises employers, insurers, and businesses regarding their obligations under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act. He also advises clients regarding complex litigation involving Medicare Set Asides and settlement funding.
Mr. Raines advises and represents property owners, real estate management companies as well as commercial tenants in both general business affairs and litigated matters, including compliance with the Fair Housing Act, and defense of complaints filed under the Fair Housing Act.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D./B.C.L., 2004
Abilene Christian University, M.S. (Psychology), 2001
Abilene Christian University, Certificate in Conflict Mediation and Dispute Resolution, 2001
Abilene Christian University, M.M.F.T. (Marriage and Family Therapy), 2000
Harding University, B.A. (Psychology), 1997
Admitted to practice in all Louisiana State and Federal Courts.
Louisiana State Bar Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP)
LABI Emerging Leaders Council (Current Chair)
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, LA Chapter (Board Member; Former Board President, Advocacy committee; Former Nominating Chair)
Leadership Baton Rouge Alumni (Board Member, Former Chair, Nominating Committee)
Manners of the Heart (Former Board Member, Former Vice Chairman)
Heritage Ranch Christian Children’s Home (Cook-Off for the Kids Committee Member, 2014-2015)
Honors and Awards
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, Since 2017
2015 Recipient of the Top Forty Under Forty, Baton Rouge Business Report
Council for a Better Louisiana, 2015 Leadership Louisiana Class.
Baton Rouge Area Leadership class of 2012.
Member of LABI Emerging Leaders Council
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
- “Louisiana Supreme Court Ruling on Choice of Pharmacy and Prescription Medication” August 2017
- “Louisiana Court Orders Out of State Workers' Compensation TPA to Retain Louisiana Claims Adjuster” April 2017
- “Judge Issues Permanent Injunction Enjoining Practical Effect of Louisiana Medical Treatment Guidelines and Appeal Procedure” March 2017
- “Recent SCOTUS Ruling Adds New Discrimination Claim under Fair Housing Act” July 2015
- “Judge Rules that Portions of the Louisiana Medical Treatment Guidelines Are Unconstitutional” July 2015
- “Recent Louisiana Supreme Court Ruling Regarding Premises Liability and Open and Obvious Conditions” February 2015
- “Recent Development in the 1010 Process in Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Law” December 2014
- Basics of Interdiction and Judicial Commitments, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017
- Practitioner Licensure Issues, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017
- Medicare Set-Asides in Workers' Compensation, NBI Advanced Workers' Compensation Seminar, June 24, 2016
- Re-Review/Reconsideration by CMS, NAMSAP Annual Meeting, October 1, 2015
- Basics of Interdiction and Commitments, LHA Behavioral Health Law Seminar: Striking the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, August 2015
- Special Issues Regarding Evictions and Reasonable Accommodations, Client Seminar, November 2014
- Mental Health Law Update, Louisiana Hospital Association, August 2014
- Medicare Set Asides and Liability Actions, Addressing Potential Issues Before Final Regulations, Baton Rouge Bench Bar Conference, July 24, 2014
- MSP Compliance: Medicare Set-Asides, Louisiana Department of Insurance, June 26, 2014
- "PECs, Interdiction, and Commitment Compliance Essentials", Presented at the Louisiana Hospital Association's Mental Health Law Update conference, May 9, 2013