Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.3179
- F: 225.381.8029
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Professional Associations
Jacob Simpson is a partner in the Baton Rouge office and focuses his practice on Healthcare and Life Sciences. Jacob provides regulatory, compliance and transactional advice to a broad range of clients, including health systems, hospitals, physician practice groups, hospital service districts, institutional review boards, and FQHCs. He offers clients a unique perspective, combining experience from both outside and inside the institutional setting.
Jacob advises clients on a myriad of other healthcare matters, including regulatory compliance, operational matters, fraud and abuse, HIPAA compliance, joint ventures, and healthcare transactions. Jacob has significant experience in health care facility licensure, including hospital, ASC, and IDTF licensure, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment, CLIA certification, and associated regulatory requirements including DEA, CDS and Pharmacy licensure.
Jacob volunteers on an Institutional Review Board ("IRB") for one of the largest hospitals in the region and also advises clients on research compliance and human subject protection, including rules and regulations related to IRB oversight of clinical research. Jacob has extensive experience with clinical trial requirements, informed consent, health information privacy, electronic records and signatures, as well as research compliance and misconduct. He is also a registered attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and counsels clients on a variety of IP matters including technology transfer, confidentiality and material transfer agreements.
Jacob is currently the Chair of the Louisiana State Bar Association ("LSBA") Health Law Section. In that role, he has promoted the field of Health Law, which has now been recognized as a legal specialty in the State of Louisiana. Through his efforts, the Health Law Specialty was approved by the LSBA Board of Legal Specialization, the LSBA House of Delegates and the Louisiana Supreme Court.
Jacob is a proud member of the United States military. He joined the US Air Force in 2001 and spent 12 years on active duty. Jacob currently serves as a Reservist for a military unit at Hurlburt Air Force Base in Florida.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Jacob earned a degree in Microbiology with a minor in Chemistry from Louisiana State University and engaged in biomedical research at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2006
Louisiana State University, B.S., summa cum laude, 2000
United States Patent & Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney
Chair, Health Law Section, Louisiana State Bar Association, 2015 to present
Board Member, Women's Hospital Institutional Review Board (Clinical Research)
Health Care Attorney, USAF Reserve, JAG (Medical Law Consultant)
American Health Lawyers Association
Baton Rouge Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Louisiana Society of Hospital Attorneys
Honors and Awards
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
Meritorious Service Medal (2 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Commendation Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service (2 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- “$10M False Claims Act Settlement Serves as a Reminder for Skilled Nursing Facilities” November 2018
- “Update: LDH Licensing "Express Lane" Coming Soon” October 2018
- “BLUE VALLEY HOSPITAL UPDATE – Kansas District Court Dismisses Case, BVH Medicare Provider Agreement Terminated for Failing to be "Primarily Engaged"” June 2018
- “LDH Licensing "Express Lane" Coming Soon” June 2018
- “CMS Terminates Medicare Provider Agreement For Failing to be "Primarily Engaged" in Providing Services to Inpatients” May 2018
- “Bankrupt Business Associate Agrees to $100K HIPAA Settlement for Medical Records Left at Dumpster” February 2018
- “OIG Report Shows Many Incidents of Potential Abuse or Neglect Unreported in SNFs” September 2017
- “Recent $400K HIPAA Settlement with FQHC Highlights Importance of HIPAA Security Management Process” May 2017
- “OIG Finalizes New Anti-Kickback Statute Safe Harbors and CMP Authorities” Louisiana Hospital Association's Impact Law Brief, January 2017
- “First Ever HIPAA Enforcement Action for Delay in Breach Reporting” BSW Health Law Blog, January 2017
- “HIPAA Amendment Purports to Strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) – Part II” January 2016
- “HIPAA Amendment Purports to Strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) - Part I” January 2016
- “Update on APRN Supervision Rules for Hospitals with Physician Practices” Louisiana Hospital Association's Impact Lawbrief, August 2014
- "Criminal Cyberattacks Against Health Care Providers Are on the Rise", BSW Health Law Blog (May 2015)
- "Can a Member of Local Bank Board Serve on the Board of a Hospital Service District?", BSW Health Law Blog (October 2014)
- "HIPAA and Baby Photo Boards", BSW Health Law Blog (August 2014)
- HIPAA Emergency Operations, Louisiana Hospital Association, September 28, 2017
- The Volk Case and the Duty to Warn, LHA Behavioral Health Law Update: Creating the Right Balance in the Delivery of Behavioral Healthcare, Louisiana Hospital Association Conference Center, January 2017