BSW’s Incentives, Credits & Economic Development (“ICED”) group is composed of attorneys with knowledge in tax, public finance, real estate, government policy, controversy, corporate, non-profit organizations and international law. Our team has worked diligently to develop strong relationships with key contacts within the state, cities and parishes. We offer up-front incentive negotiation and advice on structuring transactions—both home and abroad—to maximize incentives and tax credits. We supplement those services, when necessary, with tax opinions and tax controversy defense.
Our clients receive a wide-range of strategies that can be implemented throughout the life of their projects and during various stages of a transaction to increase their bottom line. ICED clients include state and local governmental entities, public and private universities, for profit and nonprofit organizations, private investors, energy companies, port authorities, foundations, Louisiana Department of Economic Development (LED) and other economic development organizations (EDOs).
Incentives and Tax Credit Financing
Our attorneys have vast experience with discretionary and statutory tax credits and incentives and obtaining non-traditional financing. Often, projects will include multiple financing tools combined with traditional debt and equity.
- Payments-in-Lieu-of-Tax (PILOT)
- Industrial Tax Exemptions (ITEP)
- Cooperative Endeavors Involving P3 Projects
- Historic Tax Credits (HTC)
- New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC)
- Leverage and Bridge Loan Financing Associated with HTC and NMTC Financing
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF)
- Motion Picture Infrastructure Credit
- Film Tax Credit
- Research And Development Credit (R&D)
- Solar Tax Credit
Clients often seek assistance with international incentive packages available to domestic companies interested in expanding their businesses in foreign countries, particularly Latin America. Our attorneys have experience advising on:
- Foreign and Free Trade Zones
- Free Trade Agreements
- Industrial and Manufacturing Incentives
- Reforestation & Agricultural Incentives
- Special Development Zones
- Tourism and Hospitality Incentives
- US Export Incentives
Tax Controversy and Litigation
Our tax lawyers have extensive experience helping clients with state authorized tax incentive programs, including litigating statutory tax incentives such as solar or flex fuel.