Carroll Devillier, Jr.
Partner - Baton Rouge
- T: 225.381.8013
- F: 225.381.8029
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Professional Associations
- Community Involvement
Carroll Devillier, a partner in the Baton Rouge office, has extensive experience in all types of business and complex commercial litigation. He has represented clients ranging in size from individuals, family owned businesses, mid-sized local and regional companies, national corporations, and Fortune 500 companies in industries such as oil and gas exploration, transportation, regulated waste hauling, non-regulated waste hauling, commercial construction contractors, subcontractors; material providers; heavy equipment lessors; and health care providers ranging from single clinics to, to hospitals to national providers. Carroll is admitted to practice before all Louisiana state courts, the United States District Courts for the Middle, Eastern and Western Districts, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits.
Carroll has an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Areas of Concentration
Carroll has significant experience in various areas of business litigation including:
- Complex litigation involving: unfair trade practices and unfair competition, fiduciary duties of corporate officers, directors, and trustees; and general business and commercial issues.
- Representing business owners in dissolution proceedings both as the party seeking dissolution and defending against actions for dissolution.
- Representing businesses and individuals in matters involving non-compete agreements, trade secret information and breach of fiduciary duty claims between businesses and former employees.
- Representing businesses in all manner of breach of contract claims.
- Representing businesses in disputes related to property rights, land use disputes with zoning authorities and competing claims to movable and immovable property.
- Representing businesses in all manner of business torts including tortious interference with business relationship, tortious interference with contract, and business defamation.
Healthcare Related Commercial Litigation
- Carroll’s experience includes representing health care providers, including hospital networks and individual facilities in payment disputes and recoupment appeals with Medicaid Managed Care Organizations and private pay Managed Care Organizations. This experience ranges from the initial filing of appeals through the exhaustion of administrative remedies and litigation.
- Carroll has experience representing health care businesses in qui tam and False Claims Act litigation, including the managing of the extensive discovery and motion practices attendant in such matters.
Carroll’s practice is also comprised of a significant portion of commercial collection work. This work includes representing materialman and equipment lessors in collecting amounts owed on private and public construction projects. Carroll has represented some of the largest and most diverse materialman and equipment lessors throughout Louisiana. Carroll assists clients from the earliest stages of collection efforts, through the lien filing processes, including any notice filings, commencing litigation, securing judgment and judgment enforcement efforts, including garnishments and seizure of assets. In managing this practice area, client involvement, cost reduction, and consistent attention to open matters are paramount.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D./B.C.L., 2006
University of Louisiana at Lafayette, B.S., Finance, summa cum laude, 2003
Louisiana State, Appellate and Federal Courts and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2006
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Louisiana State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Charles W. Lamar YMCA Board, Chairman of the Board of Directors
LANO Community Leader Program, Class of 2015
Baton Rouge Area Chamber Leadership, Class of 2017
Council for a Better Louisiana, Leadership Louisiana Class of 2018
Honors and Awards
Recipient of the 2017 Top Forty Under Forty, Baton Rouge Business Report
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®
AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated.
Named a "Rising Star" in the area of Business Litigation by Louisiana Super Lawyers, Since 2014
- “Negligent Credentialing: The Negligent Credentialing Claim that Evaded the LMMA” Baton Rouge Bar Association Around the Bar, January 2017
- “Billeaudeau and Beyond: Preparing for Negligent Credentialing Litigation” November 2016
- Opioid Litigation Update , - LHA Behavioral Health Law Update, March 2019
- The Opioid Addiction Crisis - Recent Regulatory Actions, Pending Lawsuits and the Role of ASCs, Presented at the Louisiana Ambulatory Surgery Center Association Annual Conference., February 9, 2018