Christine M. Colwell
Associate - Baton Rouge
- T: (225) 381-8036
- F: (225) 381-8029
- Practice Areas
- Honors and Awards
- Professional Associations
Christine “C.C.” Colwell is an associate in the Baton Rouge office, practicing primarily in the area of College and Professional Sports as well as Healthcare, Clinical Research, and Life Sciences.
College and Professional Sports
C.C. earned a master's degree in Sports Management prior to attending law school. C.C. has a passion for collegiate and athletic sports and spent her entire undergraduate, graduate, and law school career working in collegiate athletic departments. C.C. has experience working at NCAA Division I intuitions in the areas of academics, development, marketing, operations, and compliance. C.C. has experience in reading and interpreting NCAA rules and regulations, including her special focus on the NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) legislation. C.C. assists clients navigate the changes that the NIL legislation presents for college athletics, including representation in NIL-related litigation. C.C. assists clients navigate the changes the NIL legislation presents for college athetics, including representation in NIL-related litigation.
C.C. advises healthcare providers in a wide range of transactional and regulatory matters including licensing, provider enrollment, contracting, healthcare transactions, and Medicaid supplemental reimbursement. C.C. has experience advising clients on state licensing regulations, assisting providers who are seeking a new license, and other similar matters.
C.C. received her Juris Doctor, cum laude from Paul M. Hebert Law Center where she served as an Articles Editor for the Louisiana Law Review, Executive Secretary for the Student Bar Association, and President of the Sports Entertainment Media Law Society. Christine graduated with her Masters of Kinesiology, with a specialization in Sports Management from Louisiana State University. She also earned a Bachelor's of Business Administration in Marketing and Entrepreneurship from New Mexico State University.
Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D./D.C.L., Cum Laude, 2019
Louisiana State University, M.S. Kinesiology, Specialization in Sports Management, cum laude, 2016
New Mexico State University, B.B.A., Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 2014
Louisiana State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Named "Ones to Watch" by Best Lawyers, 2022
- “Proposed Bill to Allow Louisiana Universities to Facilitate NIL Deals” 03/08/2022
- “Sign on the Dotted Line: NCAA Student Athletes Officially Allowed to Profit from their Name, Image, and Likeness” July 2021
- “Construct the Deal: NCAA Student Athletes Officially Allowed to Profit from their Name, Image, and Likeness” July 2021
- “Time to Ink the Deal: NCAA Student Athletes Officially Allowed to Profit from their Name, Image, and Likeness” June 2021
- “Louisiana Senate Bill 60, Allowing Student Athletes to Profit from their Name, Image, and Likeness Heads to Governor's Desk” June 2021
- “Student-Athlete Payday—LA Senator Connick Proposes Legislation Allowing for Compensation of Collegiate Student-Athletes” April 2021
- “Get Ready Dealerships: Future Pay Day for Student-Athletes Coming Soon and This Will Benefit You” February 2021
- “NCAA to Postpone Vote on Name, Image, and Likeness” 01/19/2021
- “NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness ("NIL") Future Pay Day for Student-Athletes” November 2020
- “NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness ("NIL") Draft Legislation” 10/19/2020
- “Questions and Answers on NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness ("NIL")” October 2020
- “Potential Pay-Day for Student-Athletes: Proposed Revisions to the NCAA Name Image and Likeness ("NIL") Rules” September 2020
- “TELEHEALTH – COVID-19 Updates” March 2020
- “HIPAA $6.50 Copy Fee Limitation Does Not Apply to Lawyers and Other Third Party Record Requests” February 2020
- “Playing for Pay or Playing to Play: Student-Athletes as Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act” March 2019