The Labor and Employment Group at BSW has years of applied experience nationwide, the respect of clients, the community and the judiciary, and an unsurpassed record of successful results. This all supports two simple client service goals:
- Prevent Conflict. We recognize the power of prevention in today's litigious workforce. Working in tandem with upper management, human resources professionals, insurers and in-house counsel, we design strategies, plans, and policies that assist our clients in achieving a conflict free workplace and significantly reducing the risk of employment related claims. We accomplish this goal through management and workforce training, audits, regular seminars and publications, client consultations, updates on recent or emerging issues, and constant accessibility.
- Resolve Conflict. When prevention methods are unsuccessful, employers hire us to manage disputes and deliver optimal outcomes on cases proceeding before administrative bodies, judges and juries. While we handle a large number of cases through trial and on appeal each year, we are proud of our record of success in resolving many cases through motions for summary judgment or achieving early settlements when such is consistent with our client's goals.
BSW is also known for its experience representing management in all manner of traditional labor law practice. Our experience consists of union avoidance training, election campaign management and responding to unfair labor practice charges, strikes and pickets.
At the Employer’s Side—The labor and employment attorneys in our firm have a national and international practice representing union and non-union companies in almost every industry. From hotels to manufacturing to health care, retailing to restaurants, to financial institutions, trucking companies to warehouses to nursing homes, and many others, our labor attorneys have developed strong experience and hands-on knowledge of how business really works.
We help executives manage their businesses in a variety of ways, all of which cumulate in the objective of building successful and constructive employee relations. Our innovative approaches keep top managers informed about critical issues on a timely basis, and allow them to guide their businesses through challenging times and adapt to constantly changing labor and employment laws.
We regularly work in three complementary areas:
1. Labor law and employment litigation
2. Development of constructive employee relations
3. Ongoing education through publications, articles and seminars
The Firm is listed in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading firm in the area of Labor & Employment.
Background and Experience
- Internal employment policies and procedures, including Employee handbooks, forms, and contracts
- AAP Compliance and OFCCP audits
- General supervisory training
- Strategies for workforce reduction
- ADR programs
- Entire spectrum of employment discrimination and harassment claims
- Constitutional Issues
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Occupational Safety and Health ActOSHA (including investigation and inspection of accident sites)
- Benefits litigation
- State and Federal Retaliation and Whistleblower litigation
- Unfair Trade Practices Act
- Contract preparation and litigation, including non-competition, solicitation, confidentiality
- Advising management on union organizing and handling NLRB elections
- NLRB Decertification proceedings
- Union Grievances and Arbitration
- Negotiation of Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Strike and picket management advice
- Challenges to unemployment compensation claims