The manufacture and sale of automobiles gives rise to many legal issues. Our automotive industry team has extensive experience dealing with the special problems facing individuals and companies involved in automotive retail trades. Our mission: to ensure that BSW clients — which include dealers, statewide trade associations and related entities — receive timely, accurate and cost-effective advice with the full benefit of our institutional experience.
Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson serves as General Counsel to the Louisiana Automobile Dealers Association (LADA) and are active in a legislative program on behalf of Louisiana's franchised dealers. We partner with the dealers in Louisiana on all franchise and general business issues. While LADA "speaks" for the dealers of Louisiana, the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) is the voice on national legislation and regulatory matters, and also has a strong national political action committee to further support national issues affecting franchised dealers. Members of our Automotive Industry team are active in NADA, as well. We work to monitor the ever-changing status of governmental regulations, especially in the areas including titles, taxes, leasing, insurance, and dealer licensing, just to name a few.
Background and Experience
- Services offered to dealers:Franchise law and representation before the LMVC
- Corporate issues including insuring a smooth transition in the sale or transfer of dealershipsCorporate issues including insuring a smooth transition in the sale or transfer of dealerships
- Estate planning, and planning for succession of management within a dealershipEstate planning, and planning for succession of management within a dealership
- Contracts, including buy/sell agreements Contracts, including buy/sell agreements
- TILA, Fair Credit Act, and Privacy Act expertise in compliance and litigationTILA, Fair Credit Act, and Privacy Act expertise in compliance and litigation
- Litigation with manufacturers, unfair trade practices, and antitrust/commercial issues.Litigation with manufacturers, unfair trade practices, and antitrust/commercial issues.
- Antitrust Counseling Antitrust Counseling
- EPA, DEQ, OSHA and environmental regulatory expertiseEPA, DEQ, OSHA and environmental regulatory expertise
- Federal, State, and Local TaxationFederal, State, and Local Taxation
- Sale or Acquisition representationSale or Acquisition representation
- CFPB issues with major, indirect lenders CFPB issues with major, indirect lenders